WBK | Beck, Gaels Dominate San Diego
Stella Beck scored a season-high 24 points and the Saint Mary's women's basketball team beat San Diego by 22
SAN DIEGO -- There is something about San Diego that resonates with Stella Beck.
After having as many turnovers as points on Thursday, Beck exploded against the Toreros, missing only one shot Saturday en route to setting a new season high and leading all players with 24 points as the Saint Mary's women's basketball team dominated the Toreros, 75-53, for its second straight road West Coast Conference win and third consecutive win overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Beck is no stranger to big performances against San Diego (9-6, 2-2 WCC). Last season she scored a career-high 28 points coming off the bench, leading the Gaels (10-5, 3-1 WCC) to an important come-from-behind victory in February. Saturday she didn't have any points in the first quarter, but with USD still close within six, she scored SMC's first five points of the second period and totaled 12 in the quarter as the Gaels built their lead to as many as 15 before halftime.
- Five straight points by Beck on consecutive baskets late in the third quarter, including a transition 3-pointer, pushed the Gaels' lead back to 17 points at 60-43. And she scored her final points during an 8-0 run in the fourth quarter, where San Diego almost went scoreless for the entire final six minutes of the game. Beck went 10 for 11 from the field and 3 for 4 from the free-throw line.
- Saint Mary's focused on the inside game, only taking eight 3-pointers out of 47 total field goal attempts. It worked to its benefit, shooting 63.8 percent - the team's highest shooting percentage in a game over the last seven seasons. They shot 71.4 percent in the second half alone. Megan McKay was also on the mark Saturday, making 6 of 7 shots and 4 of 5 free throws for 16 points. Seven of nine Gaels who attempted field goals shot 50.0 percent or better.
- Saint Mary's never trailed in the game, leading for more than 39 minutes. Four Gaels finished in double figures, including Jasmine Forcadilla (11) and Sydney Raggio (10). The Gaels were outrebounded for the first time since the season opener, including 15-3 on the offensive end, but they held San Diego to just 33.3 percent shooting (19 for 57). The Toreros entered the game as the WCC's best free-throw shooting team but missed 11 free throws and shot 52.2 percent from the line.
- 6: San Diego scored just six points in the fourth quarter and went scoreless for a near-six minute stretch from the 6 minutes, 14 seconds mark to the 16 seconds mark.
- 33.3: Saint Mary's held San Diego to below 40 percent shooting, the sixth time it has held an opponent below 40 percent this season. It is now 6-0 in those games.
- 63.8: The Gaels' 63.8 field goal percentage is their highest shooting performance since at least 2011-12. They went 30 for 47 from the field, their third-most field goals made this season.
- 81.3: Saint Mary's shot 81.3 percent from the free-throw line. They entered the game as the second-worst free-throw shooting team in the WCC but only missed three free throws Saturday.
- Saint Mary's will play six of its next nine games at home, starting with a four-game home stand that begins at 6:30 p.m. Thursday versus Santa Clara. Tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com
6/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Mauldin Returns To SMC As Assistant Coach
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
03/05/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball