WBK | BYU Beats Gaels In Battle Of WCC's Top Teams
BYU downed the Saint Mary's women's basketball team with a stifling defense and two 20-point scorers
PROVO, Utah - The West Coast Conference's leading scorer finally had a night Thursday against the Saint Mary's women's basketball team.
The Gaels held BYU's Cassie Broadhead Devashrayee to just two points and three fouls in the first half of the teams' Dec. 30 meeting in Moraga, but this time the senior scored a game-high 22 points on 58.8 percent shooting on her home floor, teaming with a stifling defense to help lead the Cougars to a 63-54 win in a battle of the WCC's second-place teams at the Marriott Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Turnovers spelled trouble early for both teams. Saint Mary's (13-7, 6-3 WCC) led 6-2 to start the first quarter, forcing BYU (12-8, 7-2 WCC) into four turnovers during the game's first 2 1/2 minutes. But BYU turned the tables on SMC, closing the period on a 15-5 run with nine points off Gaels turnovers to lead 17-11 after one. Saint Mary's turned the ball over 10 times in the first quarter alone, while the Cougars committed seven giveaways.
- BYU would never again trail in the game. Saint Mary's cut its deficit to two at 21-19 midway through the second quarter, but was behind by seven at halftime (32-25) after BYU put together an 11-2 run. The Cougars outshot Saint Mary's 53.8 to 40.0 percent in the first half. Broadhead Devashrayee had 10 points before the break, as did teammate Brenna Chase, who would finish as the Cougars' second 20-point scorer with 21.
- The Gaels finished both the third and fourth quarters strong, but only after BYU had started the quarters with big runs. Saint Mary's brought its deficit back into single digits at the end of the third thanks to a 10-3 run in the frame's final three minutes. But BYU had played the first seven minutes with a 14-3 stretch that pushed its lead to as many as 18 points (46-28). SMC had an even better run to finish the game, outscoring the Cougars 14-1 over the contest's final 3:48. But that was only after BYU had posted a 13-0 run over a four-minute span.
- 2 3s: A trio of Gaels hit two treys each. Jasmine Forcadilla made two 3-pointers in the first quarter. Katie Rathbun made two baskets from long distance and Emily Codding also had two 3-pointers.
- 11: BYU was credited with 11 blocks, powered by the nation's leader in blocked shots, Sara Hamson, who had eight on the night. Three other Cougars had one block each.
- 22: Saint Mary's committed 22 turnovers, leading to 17 BYU points. It was only their second game in the last five with more than 20 turnovers.
- 46: Saint Mary's outrebounded BYU 46-28. It was the first time SMC went over the 40-rebounds mark in seven games.
- Saint Mary's road trip continues at 2 p.m. Saturday with its first meeting of the season versus Portland. The road trip then concludes on Feb. 1 with another first-time meeting at San Francisco. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball