WBK | Raggio Reaches Milestone, Pilots Hold Off Gaels
Saint Mary's women's basketball junior forward Sydney Raggio became the second Gael this season to reach 1,000 career points
PORTLAND, Ore. - Junior forward Sydney Raggio became the second Gael this season to join the 1,000 career points club, scoring a game-high 20 points Saturday while also logging her eighth double-double of the season with a game-best 13 rebounds.
But it was host Portland who would hold on for a narrow 68-65 West Coast Conference victory at the Chiles Center, staving off two potential game-tying shots by the Gaels in the final five seconds of the game to earn its first WCC win of the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (13-8, 6-4 WCC) had two chances to tie the game in the final seconds. SMC trailed 67-65 with 12 seconds left to play after two tie-breaking free throws by Portland's (5-16, 1-9 WCC) Kate Anderson. Raggio - already with 20 points in the game and looking for more - received a pass from point guard Jasmine Forcadilla and drove down the left side of the key, taking a short jumper off the glass, but missing off the front rim.
- The Gaels' last chance to tie came after Portland's Lisa-Marie Kaempf missed one of her two free throws following Raggio's miss, leaving it a one-basket game at 68-65. With just 4.4 seconds on the clock, Stella Beck drove the length of the floor, getting all the way to the 3-point line and taking aim at a game-tying, buzzer-beating shot, but her momentum carried her forward, as well as the ball, and the shot hit the back of the rim and away as time expired.
- After trailing since the first minute of the second quarter, Saint Mary's finally took back the lead midway through the fourth, going up by as many as five thanks to a 10-0 run that gave it a 58-53 lead. Raggio's layup to cap the 10-0 run gave her 18 points on the afternoon and served as her 999th and 1,000th career points. Madeline Holland hit her second 3-pointer of the game to start the run, while a three-point play from Beck, a layup by Forcadilla and Raggio's basket completed the Gaels' comeback.
- But Portland (5-16, 1-9 WCC) responded coming out of the final media timeout, going on a 12-4 run of its own to take a three-point lead with just 28 seconds left at 65-62. Saint Mary's went 1 for 5 from the floor with two turnovers during the Pilots' 4 1/2-minute run. Portland left the Gaels with a chance though, missing three free throws during their run to leave it at a one-possession game.
- And on the ensuing possession with 21 seconds to play, Beck notched another three-point play, making a layup and sinking her free throw to tie it at 65-65. The fourth quarter featured two ties and two lead changes of its own, while the game totaled five lead changes and three ties.
- 8: Raggio's 20 points and 13 rebounds marked her eighth double-double of the season, tying her for second in the WCC. It was her first double-double since Jan. 13 versus Pepperdine.
- 11: Saint Mary's was charged with just 11 turnovers in the game, its third-lowest amount in 21 games this season. The Gaels had less giveaways than Portland (14), but lost for the first time this season when having less turnovers than their opponents, and only the second time when having less than 20 turnovers.
- 17: Portland's victory over the Gaels on Saturday snapped a 17-game Saint Mary's winning streak in the series. SMC won every game it played versus the Pilots from 2010-17. Portland's last win in the series before Saturday was on Feb. 14, 2009, a 74-62 win in Portland.
- 1,000: Raggio joined the 1,000 career points club at the 5:14 mark of the fourth quarter with her layup to cap the Gaels' go-ahead 10-0 run. She joins Beck as active members of the club on the Gaels' roster. It took her 85 games to reach the mark. She has surpassed 300 points in each of her three years at Saint Mary's, averaging 11.8 points per game in her career.
- Saint Mary's concludes its three-game road trip Thursday at Bay Area rival San Francisco. The Gaels then return home on Feb. 3 versus San Diego for a stretch of four home games in five contests.
- Tickets for these and all SMC home games are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx. Fans can find all live coverage links for every game on SMCGaels.com
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball