WBK | Gaels Dominate Rival USF On The Road
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team ran away with Thursday's game at San Francisco thanks to solid shooting and rebounding
SAN FRANCISCO - The Saint Mary's women's basketball team got back on the winning track Thursday in dominating fashion, outshooting and outrebounding host San Francisco by wide margins to win 73-59 in a West Coast Conference game at War Memorial at The Sobrato Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The bookends of the first and fourth quarters is where Saint Mary's (14-8, 7-4 WCC) took advantage Thursday. The Gaels outscored San Francisco 16-6 in the first period while shooting 61.5 percent from the floor. The Dons (10-12, 5-6 WCC) shot just 13.3 percent with only two 3-pointers made in the opening frame.
- Then in the fourth quarter, after an 8-0 third-period run by USF had cut the Gaels' lead to 10, Saint Mary's again dominated for 10 minutes. SMC shot 70.0 percent in the final frame while holding the Dons to just 33.3 percent shooting.
- Saint Mary's also dominated the glass. SMC held the WCC's top-rebounding team to just 28 rebounds after the Dons had entered the night averaging 41.6 boards per game. Meanwhile the Gaels pulled down 46 rebounds for the second time in three games. Nine different Gaels collected multiple rebounds, led by Sydney Raggio and her 13 boards.
- 8: Eight players scored point for Saint Mary's, led by Stella Beck's 19. Three finished in double-figures (McKay 16, Forcadilla 13), and four of them shot at least 50 percent from the floor.
- 13: SMC had just 13 turnovers after entering the night averaging 18.2 per game. The Gaels improved to 11-2 this season when committing less than 20 turnovers.
- 42: The Gaels dominated the paint, outscoring San Francisco 42-14 down low. 24 of those came in the first half.
- 46: Saint Mary's grabbed 46 rebounds on the night. It was its second 40-plus rebounds game in the last three, as the Gaels improved to 7-2 this season when they pull down at least 40 boards.
- I think we came out pretty aggressive and played pretty smart. We wanted to get the ball inside, we felt as though that was our strength, and I thought that was one of the best things we did to start the game on offense. I thought we played really good position defense and didn't let them get in rhythm on offense, so I was very pleased with that.
- I think we've done a better job rebounding. I felt as though tonight we did a really good job on the defensive glass. Other than a few possessions, you could tell we expended the energy to jump and pursue the ball instead of letting it come to us. Offensively, I think Claire (Ferguson) did a very good job, Maddie (Holland) got in there a couple times.
- Being at home is beneficial, but I wouldn't use being on the road as an excuse for anything for our last two road games. We didn't play well enough to win. But obviously it's nice to be at home and sleep in your own bed, so that's a positive.
- Saint Mary's begins a stretch of four home games over its next five contests, starting at 2 p.m. Saturday versus San Diego. The home stand continues Thursday versus Loyola Marymount
- Tickets for these and all remaining home games are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
2/17/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Beck, Gaels Fly By Pilots on Senior Day
2/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Beck, Gaels Cruise Past Dons
2/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Final Home Games of Regular Season
2/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | McKay Earns Second WCC Player of the Week Nod
2/10/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Dominate Gonzaga On The Road
02/08/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Comeback Falls Short Against Lions
02/06/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Embark On Another Important Week
02/05/2018 - W. Basketball
McKay Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete Of The Week
02/03/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Take Down Toreros
02/01/2018 - W. Basketball