WBK | Gaels' Comeback Falls Short Against Lions
The saint mary's women's basketball team couldn't complete the fourth quarter comeback as they fell 75-65
MORAGA, Calif. -- For the second time this season, Loyola Marymount staved off a charging Saint Mary's women's basketball team, this time holding off the Gaels after they made it a two-point game in the fourth quarter to escape McKeon Pavilion with a 75-65 West Coast Conference win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels whittled down LMU's 16-point lead to two at 65-63 with only 3 1/2 minutes to play in the game. But that was as close as they would get. Saint Mary's would shoot just 1 for 4 while turning the ball over three times and getting called for six fouls in the final minutes of the fourth quarter.
- Despite a strong defensive effort in the first quarter, Saint Mary's trailed early as costly turnovers foiled several scoring opportunities. The Lions took a 16-13 lead into the second quarter with nine of those points coming off 10 Gael turnovers.
- Emily Codding knocked down a 3-point shot to open the second quarter to tie the game 16-16. But minutes later, LMU went on a 13-2 run led by Gabby Green and McKenzie Cast that gave it a 29-20 lead. Another 11-4 run for the Lions resulted in a 14-point deficit for the Gaels at the half, 43-29.
- Excellent rebounding was the Gaels' saving grace to keep the game within reach early. SMC outrebounded LMU 19-9 and scored nine second-chance points in the opening 20 minutes.
- LMU shot 73.3 percent from the field (11 for 15) in the second quarter. Megan McKay and Sydney Raggio led Saint Mary's attack during the first half as the duo combined for 18 points and 10 boards.
- The Gaels cut their 16-point deficit to seven points 2 1/2 minutes into the second half. Madeline Holland gave the Gaels their first points of the half with a 3-pointer and Jasmine Forcadilla knocked down two more treys. The Gaels nearly matched their first half points total (29) in the third quarter alone (23) as they shot 70 percent (7 for 10) from the field.
15: Prior to this season, Saint Mary's had won the last 15 of 18 contests between the two teams.
19: Megan McKay posted her fourth double-double and a team-high 19 points and 11 rebounds. Two other Gaels scored in double-digit points: Madeline Holland (13) and Sydney Raggio (11).
25: Saint Mary's was hampered by 25 committed turnovers that led to 24 points for the Lions. It was its first game with more than 20 turnovers since
37: Saint Mary's outrebounded LMU 37-26. The Gaels dominated on the defensive glass grabbing 29 rebounds over the Lion's 17.
52.2: The Gaels shot 52.2 percent from the field. McKay shot a team-best 80 percent (8-for-10).
Saint Mary's will travel to Spokane Saturday to take on WCC leader Gonzaga. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball