WBK | Gaels Dominate Gonzaga On The Road
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team held WCC leader and rival Gonzaga to just 29.5 percent shooting
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Saint Mary's women's basketball team earned a statement victory Saturday, doing something no other West Coast Conference team had yet to do this season, dominating WCC leader and rival Gonzaga on its own home floor, 72-56, to hand the Bulldogs their first WCC loss of the season and snap their eight-game home winning streak at the McCarthy Athletic Center.
Sydney Raggio and Megan McKay both had double-doubles to lead the Gaels. Raggio poured in a team-high 17 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead three Gaels in double figures. McKay also pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds for her third straight double-double, and Saint Mary's snapped a four-game Gonzaga win streak in the series with a victory over the first place Bulldogs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gonzaga (20-5, 13-1 WCC) scored the first two points of the game on free throws from leading scorer Jill Barta, but the Gaels (16-9, 9-5 WCC) answered with an 8-2 run and would never trail again. Barta scored all but two of the Bulldogs' 11 points in the first period as Saint Mary's jumped out to an early 15-11 lead.
- The second quarter was when the game was all but decided. Again the Bulldogs started the frame with the first basket, but a 10-0 run by the Gaels gave them their first double-digit lead, thanks in part to back-to-back 3-pointers by Emily Codding and Jasmine Forcadilla. That forced a timeout from Gonzaga, but it wouldn't slow the momentum of Saint Mary's.
- The Gaels would outscore Gonzaga 26-9 in the second period with another 13-0 run to boot. Gonzaga only made two field goals in the second, shooting 14.3 percent. Meanwhile, Saint Mary's made 10 baskets and shot 71.4 percent in those second 10 minutes of the game, taking a 21-point, 41-20 lead into halftime.
- Gonzaga tried climbing back into the game in the third quarter, making each of its first six shots and cutting the lead to 13 on a midrange jumper from Zykera Rice with 4:32 left in the period. The Bulldogs would later cut the lead to 14 on two different occasions, heading into the fourth quarter down 57-43.
- But Saint Mary's answered with a 7-0 run fueled by Raggio and Forcadilla to open the fourth quarter and put the Gaels back up by 21 points. Both Raggio and Forcadilla would record double-doubles in the fourth quarter, helping the Gaels out rebound Gonzaga 16-6 over the final frame and 47-21 for the game.
- 9: Guard Stella Beck served up a game-high nine assists to pace a Gaels team that saw six different players record assists. Saint Mary's also held Gonzaga to nine points in the second quarter, two points off the Bulldog's season low, set in the first game of the season.
- 18: The Gaels again dished the rock and had great ball movement, racking up 18 assists on 30 field goals. It was the most assists the Gaels have had since recording 23 in a Jan. 20 win over Pacific.
- 29.5: Saint Mary's held a Gonzaga team that entered the day hitting 44.6 percent of their field goals to just 29.5 percent from the floor.
- 47: The Gaels pulled down 47 rebounds, well above their season average of 38.8, including 13 offensive rebounds that led to 12 second-chance points. Saint Mary's held the WCC's top rebounding team to 21 rebounds after Gonzaga entered Saturday averaging 40.8 boards per contest.
- Saint Mary's women's basketball returns home next week for its final two regular season home games, hosting San Francisco on Thursday and Portland on Saturday. SMC then closes out the regular season with a short, two-game road trip to Pepperdine and Santa Clara on Feb. 22 and 24.
6/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Mauldin Returns To SMC As Assistant Coach
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
03/05/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball