WBK | Beck, Gaels Fly By Pilots on Senior Day
Stella Beck scored 25 points to help lead the Saint Mary's women's basketball team to its victory over Portland.
MORAGA, Calif. -- The Saint Mary's women's basketball team dominated from start to finish Saturday as senior Stella Beck scored 25 points in the final regular season home game of her career, with Saint Mary's beating visiting Portland by double-digits, 77-49, at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (18-9, 11-5 WCC) grabbed a quick 8-2 lead in the first three minutes of the game as Megan McKay, Beck and Sydney Raggio each scored a basket. The Gaels continued to take control offensively in the first with a 15-2 run that lasted for over four minutes. SMC knocked down four shots in a row to conclude the first quarter with a 23-9 advantage.
- Beck already had 12 points at the 8:27 mark of the second quarter. The Gaels continued to blow by the Pilots' (6-21, 2-14 WCC) defense before halftime as Katie Rathbun knocked down back-to-back shots from beyond the arc to extend Saint Mary's lead by as much as 20. The Gaels grabbed 26 rebounds over the Pilots' 13 in the first half alone, with McKay grabbing a game-high 10 rebounds in the first 20 minutes.
- McKay and Beck took charge of Saint Mary's offense in the opening five minutes of the third quarter as both players scored all of the Gaels' first 14 points in the period to lead Portland 54-27 with 4:35 left in the third. Saint Mary's led Portland by as much as 30, 61-31, shooting 63.6 percent from the field during the third stanza.
- Saint Mary's took a 30-point lead at the 2:02 mark in the third quarter, which marks the largest lead in WCC play eclipsing the 24-point lead over Gonzaga on Feb. 20. Stella Beck was Saint Mary's all around player by her continuous competitive performance as she controlled the Gaels offense scoring 25 points, shooting 61.5 percent (8-for-13) from the field and also grabbing nine boards.
- 17: The Gaels dished out 17 assists. Jasmine Forcadilla had a game-high 6 dimes and Madeline Holland, Raggio and Emily Codding had three a peice.
- 25: Beck scored a game-high 25 points while grabbing nine rebounds. McKay scored 18 points and 12 rebounds which represented her fifth straight game with double-digit boards to go with her sixth double-double of the season.
- 48: Saint Mary's grabbed 48 rebounds over Portlands 28. Saint Mary's has pulled down 47 or more rebounds in each of its last three games (Portland, San Francisco and Gonzaga).
- 75: SMC shot 75.0 percent from the free-throw line making 21 of 28. Five different Gaels went to the free-throw line at least once. Beck went a perfect 7 for 7.
Head Coach Paul Thomas
- "Stella had an all-around great weekend. She touched every stat category on Thursday, and I know she came close today to doing the same. Stella is one of those student-athletes that when she is focused and locked in, she becomes a very difficult person to contain. She did a great job defensively, and I could not be more proud or happier for her."
- "As soon as the San Francisco game was over, we made sure the team knew that this was an important game. Not only because it is a league game, but they did beat us and we wanted to make sure we just played better. We did not play our best up there, and they played better than they did against us (in Portland) today. We have to maintain the focus. I thought our unfocused moments today were not as long as they normally can be, so that was a pleasant surprise. Everyone did a very good job out there staying locked in the moment."
- "It's very sad that it's my last home game being in front of all these people at home, but to be celebrated like that was so unreal and so special. It's such a nice feeling and exciting for the future. It made me feel very special and made me very happy."
- "During today's game my mindset was the same. Game plan was also the same: get the ball inside again and we executed very well, especially on defense, which was huge for us."
Saint Mary's will wrap up its regular season on the road against Pepperdine and Santa Clara on Thursday and Saturday. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
3/2/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | McKay's Milestone Sparks Saint Mary's Past Waves
02/21/2018 - W. Basketball