WBK | McKay's Milestone Sparks Saint Mary's Past Waves
Megan McKay became the third Gael this season to score her 1,000th career point as the Saint Mary's women's basketball team beat Pepperdine
MALIBU, Calif. - Megan McKay joined Stella Beck and Sydney Raggio Thursday as the third Gael this season to reach 1,000 career points, scoring a career-high 30 against Pepperdine at Firestone Fieldhouse as the Gaels inched closer to clinching the No. 2 seed in next week's West Coast Conference Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McKay's historic night started slow. She only had seven points in the first half on a modest 3 for 6 shooting performance with just one free throw. It was Stella Beck who carried the Gaels (19-9, 12-5 WCC) in the first 20 minutes, scoring 17 points to lead all players at the break.
- McKay would get it going in a big way after halftime, and Saint Mary's needed it after leading Pepperdine (9-18, 5-12 WCC) by just one (37-36) through two quarters. McKay scored 23 of her career-high 30 points in the second half, including 12 in the fourth quarter. Her 12 points in the final period accounted for 12 of the Gaels' first 14 points in the fourth. She was a perfect 4 for 4 from the free-throw line in the last quarter, and she had two key three-point plays in which she made her free throw both times.
- Her three-point play two minutes into the fourth gave the Gaels back the lead for good at 68-67. Pepperdine had started the quarter on an 8-2 run to take a two-point, 67-65 lead, capped by Kim Jacob's 3-pointer. McKay's second three-point play of the quarter came with less than two minutes to play and turned a one-point game into a four-point, 77-73 advantage for the Gaels.
- Saint Mary's led by as many as nine in the first quarter and 10 in the second, but cold shooting spurts allowed Pepperdine to come back and stay close. Saint Mary's went on a 12-0 run in the first quarter powered by nine points from Beck to take a 14-5 lead.
- The lead was pushed to 10 after SMC started the second with three straight baskets. The Waves stayed close with 3-pointers, going 6 for 13 (46.2 percent) in the first half. Pepperdine outscored the Gaels 15-6 in the latter half of the second quarter to pull within one going into halftime. SMC missed seven of eight shots midway through the second period, and also missed their first three shots of the third frame as Pepperdine tied the game for the first time.
- 1: Saint Mary's entered Thursday as the WCC leader in team 3-point percentage (33.3 percent), but made just one trey, going 1 for 11 (9.1 percent). Emily Codding made the Gaels' lone shot from distance.
- 7: The game featured seven lead changes and seven ties. Four of the lead changes and five of the ties happened after halftime.
- 10: Raggio notched her 10th double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds. It was her 11th game this season with double-figure rebounds. She's also had 23 double-figure scoring games.
- 23: Saint Mary's scored 23 second-chance points off of 19 offensive rebounds. Pepperdine had just four second-chance points as it was outrebounded 19-9 on the offensive glass and 38-27 overall.
- 30: McKay's 30-point game was the second 30-point game by a Gael in 2017-18 after Beck scored 31 versus Pacific on Jan. 20. It was the sixth time this season she scored at least 20 points in a game.
- 1,000: McKay became the third Gael to score her 1,000th career point this season after Beck (Nov. 24) and Sydney Raggio (Jan. 27). It is the first time in program history that SMC has had three active 1,000 career points scorers on the roster.
- Saint Mary's concludes the regular season at South Bay rival Santa Clara at 2 p.m. Saturday, with the WCC Tournament's No. 2 seed on the line. A win will clinch the spot for the Gaels. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
6/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Mauldin Returns To SMC As Assistant Coach
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
03/05/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball