WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team clinched the No. 2 seed in next week's West Coast Conference Tournament.
MORAGA, Calif. -- An explosive second half Saturday helped the Saint Mary's women's basketball team pull away from host Santa Clara and wrap up the No. 2 seed in next week's West Coast Coast Conference Tournament, as the Gaels beat the Broncos 72-51 at the Leavey Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's consistency on the offensive end led them to shoot 57.4 percent from the field as Megan McKay and Stella Beck continued the Gaels to lead by as much as double-digit points with seven made free throws and a layup a piece. Santa Clara missed four key shots in a row in its final five minutes of play.
- McKay and Sydney Raggio scored four points a piece followed by Beck's layup to the basket controlled the Gaels explosive 18-3 run. Saint Mary's held Santa Clara to just eight points as Raggio 5-for-6 shooting put her in double-digits to end the third quarter. Santa Clara's 3-for-14 shooting from the field and only scoring eight points in the entire third period boosted Saint Mary's lead by as much as 21 points, 51-30.
- The Broncos could not get past Saint Mary's efficient shooting from beyond the arc as Jasmine Forcadilla opened the final half pouring down two 3-point shots that pushed the Gaels' lead to 38-27. Katie Rathbun also added a trey to close the third quarter and cap SMC's 18-3 stretch.
- The Broncos played Saint Mary's tight in the first quarter, only trailing by one at 15-14. But Saint Mary's took control of the entire second quarter shooting 63.6 (7 for 11) from the field. Stella Beck was already into double-figures at the 6:40 mark in the second period. Madeline Holland's sharp 3-point shooting and a jump shot from inside the perimeter extended the Gaels' lead by eight points heading into the locker room at 30-22.
- Santa Clara had its only lead of the game in the first five minutes of play, 9-4, but it was Beck who sparked a 9-0 run after sinking in two shots from the foul line that left Santa Clara in a scoring drought for over four minutes.
- 3: Three Gaels scored in double-digit points. Stella Beck scored a game-high 24 points and eight rebounds (8-for-12), Megan McKay scored 11 points (5-for-9) and Sydney Raggio had 10 (5-for-6).
- 22: Saint Mary's tallied 22 assists. Madeline Holland dished out a career-high nine assists, Beck had four dimes, Raggio and Forcadilla dished out three a piece.
- 34: The Gaels grabbed 34 rebounds while taking control on the defensive glass pulling down 27 over the Broncos' 14.
- 40: Saint Mary's scored 40 of its points in the paint over Santa Clara's 15. That accounted for 56 percent of the Gaels' scoring in the game.
Saint Mary's will travel to Las Vegas for the West Coast Conference Tournament from March 1-6. The Gaels will play the winner of Thursday's No. 7 versus No. 10 game at 2 p.m. Friday. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
6/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Mauldin Returns To SMC As Assistant Coach
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
03/05/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball