WBK | Gaels Battle #20/25 Cal In Season Opener
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team held multiple leads but No. 20/25-ranked California hit its free throws down the stretch
BERKELEY, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s women’s basketball team proved on Friday its ready to face anyone in 2017-18, going wire-to-wire with No. 20/25 California in both teams’ season openers at Haas Pavilion. But the Bears used late free throws to avoid an upset with an 87-80 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary’s controlled the first half of the first quarter, getting out to a seven-point, 16-9 lead with 4 1/2 minutes left. But Cal answered with a 10-0 run that would stretch to a 14-5 run for a 23-19 lead after one.
- It was much of the same in the second, with Saint Mary’s tying the game three different times in the first half of the quarter. But Cal broke a 34-34 tie with a 13-2 run over the final 4:16 to lead 47-36 at halftime.
- Just when it looked like Cal would take control in the game, the Gaels returned the favor in the third, erasing an 11-point deficit with an 18-7 run over the last 5:42 of the quarter to tie the game at 66-66 heading into the fourth.
- Saint Mary’s opened the fourth quarter shooting 0 for 4 before Stella Beck hit a 3-pointer 3:13 into the frame. A quick 7-2 run gave SMC a slim 73-71 lead, but Cal answered with its own 9-2 sprint to take back an 80-75 lead.
- The Gaels pulled to within three in the final minute, but the Bears went a perfect 6 for 6 from the free-throw line to hold them off and win 87-80.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- Sydney Raggio started the year off with a double-double of 10 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.
- Stella Beck finished with a game-high 22 points, shooting 8 for 14 from the field and matching a career high with three 3-pointers.
- Megan McKay matched or outscored all of Cal’s scorers with 17 points, shooting 7 for 11 from the field.
- Jasmine Forcadilla chipped in 12 points and tied a career best with seven assists in her first career start.
- Cal had six double-figure scorers, led by Kristine Anigwe with 17. Penina Davidson had a double-double with 10 points and a team-best 12 rebounds.
- The Gaels shot 42.0 percent while the Bears shot 45.5. Saint Mary’s hit seven 3-pointers on 35.0 percent shooting while Cal hit eight at a 32.0 percent rate.
- Saint Mary’s hosts Washington State at 1 p.m. Sunday in its 2017-18 home opener. It then welcomes Cal Poly on Nov. 19. Fans who attend the Saint Mary’s men’s basketball game Saturday versus Saint Francis (PA) can get into Sunday’s women’s game for free with their ticket stub from Saturday.
- Women’s basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
1/20/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Powerful Offense Pushes Gaels Past Pacific
1/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gonzaga Holds Off Gaels' Comeback
1/17/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Lessons Learned For Raggio Prove Hard Work Pays Off
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Clash Of Top Teams
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
01/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
01/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
01/09/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball