WBK | Raggio, Gaels Blow Past Cal Poly
Sydney Raggio scored a game-high 23 points to help Saint Mary's pull away from Cal Poly Sunday
MORAGA, Calif. -- Sydney Raggio scored a game-high 23 points Sunday and the Saint Mary's women's basketball team won the battle down low versus Cal Poly, as the Gaels beat the Mustangs, 82-64, in a non-conference game at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Raggio hit eight of her first nine shots in the game to score a season-high 23 points. She also grabbed a game-best 10 rebounds for her second double-double this year. The junior forward made each of the Gaels' first three buckets and four of their first five coming out of halftime, pushing SMC's lead to 18 points during a 10-0 run in the third quarter.
- Katie Rathbun scored a career-high six points with two key 3-pointers in the second quarter to give the Gaels a 35-27 lead. The Gaels went on a 12-8 run led by two free throws from Raggio and a layup from Madeline Holland. Near the end of the first half, Emily Codding hit a 3-pointer with 90 seconds to guide a 42-33 lead. Katie Nunelley hit a 3-pointer with 14 seconds to close the half, 44-36.
- The Gaels went on a 9-0 run in the first quarter to go up by six at 11-5 and never trail again. The Mustangs (1-2) were only able to pull within three points of SMC on three more occasions as SMC's lead grew to as many as 20 in the third quarter.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 3: Stella Beck is now just three points away from reaching 1,000 career points. She scored 10 on Sunday, including six from the free-throw line.
- 23: Sydney Raggio scored a game-high 23 points to go along with 10 rebounds for her second double-double of the season. She also had a double-double in the opener at No. 20/25 California on Nov. 10.
- 27: The Gaels made 27 free throws while Cal Poly made eight. The 19-point differential was critical as the Gaels won by 18.
- 55: Saint Mary's out-rebounded Cal Poly 55-42, including 19 offensive boards. That led to 20 second-chance points for SMC.
Head Coach Paul Thomas
- "The team did a great job of holding the lead and extending the lead. We got it up to probably 16 or 18 [points]. There's no one possession, it's a series of possessions, and that's what we're trying to get better at. At the end of the game there was a series where there were turnovers, bad shots, fumbled balls, fouls; so we're just trying to string together some good possessions. I think we did that at the end of the first quarter and at the beginning of the third quarter. That was probably the deciding factor."
- "The focus at halftime was to get the ball inside. We felt as though our advantage was with (Megan McKay) and Syd and getting the ball inside. You gotta be smart. You have to execute a little bit better and I thought we did that."
- "Syd had a heck of a day. She looked motivated and energized, and that is a positive thing. Congratulations to her for having that kind of game."
- "We always open up against strong teams in the preseason. It definitely helps. It makes us better. In today's game, we had to buckle down better on defense. We gave up way too many 3s in the first half. My teammates passed me the ball a lot and I did what I could. They gave me open shots and I just scored them."
- Saint Mary's hosts its annual Hilton Concord Classic tournament on Friday and Saturday at McKeon Pavilion. The Gaels welcome Indiana, UC Santa Barbara and UAB for four basketball games in two days. SMC will face off against the Gauchos and the Hoosiers, respectively.
- Links for live streams and live stats can be found on the Gaels' schedule page.
- Women's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
1/20/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Powerful Offense Pushes Gaels Past Pacific
1/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gonzaga Holds Off Gaels' Comeback
1/17/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Lessons Learned For Raggio Prove Hard Work Pays Off
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Clash Of Top Teams
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
01/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
01/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
01/09/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball