WBK | Beck's Milestone Helps Lift Gaels Over UCSB
Stella Beck scored her 1,000th career point Friday as the Saint Mary's women's basketball team defeated UCSB
MORAGA, Calif. -- The 2017 Hilton Concord Classic kicked off Friday in historic style for the Saint Mary's women's basketball team, as senior guard Stella Beck joined the 1,000 career points club and the Gaels beat an opponent by 30 points for the first time in nearly two years with an 89-59 victory over UC Santa Barbara at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Beck entered Friday needing three points to reach the 1,000 career points milestone. She put in a layup three minutes into the game to put her at 999, but she wouldn't reach the mark until the 2 minutes, 40 seconds mark in the first quarter. She went to the free-throw line and made her 1,000th and 1,001st points to become the first Gael to reach the mark since Lauren Nicholson (2012-16).
- Saint Mary's (3-1) scored at least 20 points in every single quarter while holding the Gauchos (1-3) to 17 or less in each period. Saint Mary's established and built upon leads all game long. A 14-2 run in the 1st quarter gave SMC its first double-digit lead of the game. A 10-0 run in the second quarter turned a four-point game into a 14-point Gaels advantage. A 12-3 stretch to close the third period made it a 22-point Saint Mary's lead, and a 9-0 sprint late in the fourth quarter pushed the Gaels' lead to a game-high 32 points with 31 seconds left.
- Saint Mary's shot a season-best 53.2 percent -- its highest mark since shooting 53.8 percent versus Northern Colorado on Dec. 16, 2016. The Gaels shot 75 percent in the first quarter and were over 50 percent in both the third and fourth periods. Meanwhile, they held UC Santa Barbara to just 30.5 shooting, including 28.6 percent from the 3-point arc. The Gaels took advantage of the high-percentage shots, dominating scoring in the paint, 52-16.
- 1,000: Beck made two free throws late in the first quarter to score her 1,000th and 1,001st career points.
- 4: Four Gaels scored in double-digits. Raggio scored 19 points and Beck netted 18. Claire Ferguson recorded a career-high 13 points and had five rebounds. Freshman Emily Codding had a season-high 12 points and six rebounds.
- 12: Saint Mary's had 12 steals, its most since also having 12 verus CSUN on Nov. 13, 2015.
- 19: Sydney Raggio scored a game-high 19 points and narrowly missed her third double-double of the year with nine rebounds.
- 25: The Gaels scored 25 points off of 16 UC Santa Barbara turnovers, holding a 25-6 advantage in the category.
- 42: Saint Mary's outrebounded UCSB 42 to 32, including 29-19 on the defensive end.
Head Coach Paul Thomas
- "We started executing better. We executed on the defensive end and then we got easy looks at the basket on the offensive end. I think from that point on, our team gained momentum to take a double-digit lead to a 15-point lead, and then to a 20-point lead. Everyone contributed and did a really good job of doing that tonight."
- "Claire came out and set the tone. A player that can come off the bench and can give that spark on the offensive side gets everyone going. It creates momentum and all of her teammates were excited for her. You can see her exuberance in the way she was moving. That is a part of the game. We did a good job sustaining our energy and effort."
- "Our goal is to limit the other team to less than double-digits on the offensive glass. Taking care of the ball is going to be a big factor in tomorrow's game (versus Indiana)."
- "I didn't really think about (scoring 1,000 career points) until someone mentioned last game that I was three points away from reaching the 1,000-point record. It's funny because it makes me think about being a senior, which is sad, but it's also really exciting."
- "Overall, our standards are higher this year. Every other game someone new dominates. Everyone is doing their part and coming out aggressive. I think that opponents can't relax on any of our players, which is really exciting for us. We have been pushing the ball a lot more and that has helped us get into the flow of things early on."
- "Our game plan is always the same. We play our game. We play the way we play. I think that is a really good recipe for us to succeed. As long as we do what we do and don't change based on our opponents we will be well-suited for tomorrow's game against Indiana."
- Indiana survived a late fourth quarter run by UAB to hold on for a 71-63 victory in Friday's Hilton Concord Classic opener at McKeon Pavilion. The Blazers (3-1) went on an 11-3 run with just four minutes to play to cut the Hoosiers' (4-1) lead from 14 to six. But two UAB turnovers and four Indiana free throws sealed the game in the final minute.
- Indiana's Tyra Buss tied UAB's Deanna Kuzmanic for the game-high with 22 points. Amanda Cahill and Kym Royster both had double-doubles for the Hoosiers. Cahill scored 14 points and pulled down 12 rebounds while Royster poured in 12 points and grabbed 13 boards. Kuzmanic was 6 for 7 from downtown. Rachael Childress had 13 points for the Blazers and Miyah Barnes scored 11 with six assists.
- Saint Mary's will compete against Big Ten member Indiana at 2 p.m. Saturday to conclude the Hilton Concord Classic Tournament at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- Women's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
1/20/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Powerful Offense Pushes Gaels Past Pacific
1/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gonzaga Holds Off Gaels' Comeback
1/17/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Lessons Learned For Raggio Prove Hard Work Pays Off
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Clash Of Top Teams
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
01/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
01/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
01/09/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball