WBK | Gaels Hold Off Hoosiers To Win Hilton Concord Classic
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team pulled away in the fourth quarter to down Indiana and win its tournament
MORAGA, Calif. -- A balanced attack on both ends Saturday helped the Saint Mary's women's basketball team win its fourth game in a row and take the 2017 Hilton Concord Classic title with an 88-82 victory over Indiana at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (4-1) led the Hoosiers (4-2) the entire first half, entering the break with an eight-point, 47-39 lead. The Gaels scored six unanswered points to start the second quarter for their largest lead of the game at 25-16 (nine points). Indiana came within three points twice before halftime, but the Gaels made four of their last six shots in the half, including two 3-pointers, for their comfortable advantage midway through the game.
- Indiana closed the gap in the second half, taking three separate one-point leads in the third and fourth quarters, including a 77-76 advantage with just 3 minutes, 35 seconds left to play. But SMC outscored the Hoosiers 12-4 down the stretch, including eight free throws, to take the victory.
- Even though they erased an eight-point deficit in the period, the Hoosiers shot just 28.6 percent (4 for 14) during the fourth quarter. That includes going 1 for 4 from the floor with two turnovers and two missed free throws in the final three minutes of the game. Saint Mary's had its cold spots in the last frame, too, going on two separate scoring droughts of 2:32 and 1:49, respectively.
- Saint Mary's pressured Indiana with contributions from everyone on the floor, forcing the Hoosiers to pick their poison on defense. Five Gaels scored in double figures, led by Stella Beck's season-high-matching 22 points. Sydney Raggio scored 17 and freshman Madeline Holland hit five of six 3s for 15 points. Jasmine Forcadilla chipped in 11. In addition, seven Gaels had at least two rebounds each, and five Gaels dished at least three assists.
- 5: Holland's five treys were the most by the Gael since Devyn Galland also made five in the 2016 WNIT versus Eastern Michigan on March 17, 2016.
- 24: Tyra Buss scored a game-high 24 points and seven assists for Indiana. The Hoosiers had two 20-point scorers with Jaelynn Penn tallying 21 with nine boards.
- 58.5: Saint Mary's shot 58.5 percent in the game, its second straight game shooting over 50 percent and third this season. The Gaels are 3-0 this year when they shoot over 50 percent.
- 88: The Gaels were one point shy of matching Friday's season high of 89 points. SMC has scored 80 or more points in all five of its games this season.
Coach Paul Thomas
- "The big moment was when (Indiana) went ahead in the third quarter and we didn't panic. I think our team showed a tremendous amount of composure at the end. The ball was in the right person's hand at the right time. It all comes down to how players make plays. We knew what we were doing and that is a positive step forward. We made our free throws, too, and that is what it all comes down to. They had to take tough shots against us and we rebounded the ball."
- "Madeline Holland made five 3s today and that was huge. Emily Codding did a really good job on (Indiana's Buss). Her length bothered her a little bit and that was key. We did a good job on executing the game plan. Everyone played a part in the game."
- "Ever since I have been coaching here, our culture on the road has been successful. We play our style because it is road-friendly, and that helps. Being on the road is easier than being at home because (the players) are with us the whole time. There is more team bonding that goes on."
- A 24-9 run to close out the second quarter followed by an offensive clinic in the fourth period propelled UAB to a 67-54 win over UC Santa Barbara in the Hilton Concord Classic Game No. 3 on Saturday.
- The Blazers' (4-1) Deanna Kuzmanic set a career high with 24 points. She also had a team-best three assists to go along with two steals. Miyah Barnes scored a season-high 17 points with three treys to record her third-straight double-digit scoring performance. Akilah Jennings scored 14 points to lead the Gauchos (1-4). Eight other UCSB players scored at least two points. The Gauchos attempted 32 3-pointers, making nine (28.1 percent).
- MVP: Stella Beck, Saint Mary's
- Tyra Buss, Indiana
- Sydney Raggio, Saint Mary's
- Jaelynn Penn, Indiana
- Deanna Kuzmanic, UAB
- Akilah Jennings, UC Santa Barbara
- Saint Mary's will travel to Idaho and Salt Lake City to compete with Mountain West opponent Boise State and Pac-12 member Utah on Thursday and Saturday.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Top Teams Clash
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
1/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
1/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
1/9/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Beck, Gaels Dominate San Diego
01/04/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Raggio's Put-Back Takes Down Tigers
01/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Continue WCC Play On The Road
12/30/2017 - W. Basketball