WBK | Gaels Charge Back To Beat Broncos
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team overcame a 10-point fourth quarter deficit Friday to win its 5th straight
BOISE, Idaho -- The Saint Mary's women's basketball team erased a 14-point second-half deficit and came from 10 points down in the fourth quarter Thursday to win its fifth game in a row and first on the road, beating host Boise State, 74-72, at Taco Bell Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels' (5-1) 10-0 run in the fourth quarter was the game changer. Saint Mary's held Boise State (2-3) scoreless for more than six minutes while forcing five turnovers and holding them to 0-for-9 shooting. Jasmine Forcadilla had six of the Gaels' 10 points during the run, including a 3-pointer to get it started.
- The Gaels had a chance to put the game away for good in the final seconds, but struggled at the free-throw line, as they had all game. Stella Beck and Forcadilla both missed free throws in the final minute, leaving SMC's lead at two points instead four and giving Boise State a chance at a game-tying shot. But Marta Hermida's floater from the middle of the key missed on the right side of the rim and bounced away as the buzzer sounded, giving Saint Mary's the victory. The Gaels were 19 for 32 (59.4 percent) from the charity stripe Thursday.
- The Gaels outscored the Broncos 20-8 in the fourth. Boise State had built its lead to as much as 14 (49-35) three minutes into the third and still led by 10 points 68 seconds into the fourth. But Boise State shot just 13.3 percent (2 for 15) in the fourth quarter, while Saint Mary's made all four of its final field goal attempts down the stretch.
- Megan McKay led a hot start for Saint Mary's in the first quarter, scoring her first basket just four seconds into the game and putting up nine points in just six minutes, as the Gaels got out to a 16-10 lead. She would finish with a career-high 27 points, topping her previous career high of 25, which she also did against Boise State last season.
- Turnovers hurt the Gaels in the first half - especially in the second quarter. Boise State scored 20 points off of 15 SMC giveaways in the first half. 11 of those SMC turnovers came in the second quarter alone, and six of those came in just the final 3 1/2 minutes of the period. Five points in the Broncos' 8-0 run to end the second quarter came off SMC turnovers.
- 4: Four Gaels finished with double-digit points, led by McKay's 27. Forcadilla scored 14, Beck added 13 and Sydney Raggio chipped in 10.
- 5: Thursday's win was the Gaels' fifth in a row. It is their longest winning streak since also winning five straight last season from Feb. 18-March 6.
- 10: Beck had a double-double with a career-high 10 assists to go with her 13 points. She surpassed her previous mark of nine, also set against Boise State last season.
- 14: Raggio pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds. She had seven defensive and seven offensive boards. She notched her third double-double of the year with 10 points.
- 27: McKay's career high marked her second 20-point game of the season after scoring 22 on Nov. 12 versus Washington State.
- Saint Mary's travels to Pac-12 Conference member Utah on Saturday for another 2016 Hilton Concord Classic rematch at 1:30 p.m. PST. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks. Live coverage links can be found on SMCGaels.com.
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Top Teams Clash
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
1/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
1/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
1/9/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Beck, Gaels Dominate San Diego
01/04/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Raggio's Put-Back Takes Down Tigers
01/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Continue WCC Play On The Road
12/30/2017 - W. Basketball