WBK | Gaels' Offense Comes Up Short Against UC Davis
Saint Mary's was held to its lowest shooting percentage of the season during Saturday's loss to the Aggies
MORAGA, Calif. -- Saint Mary's could not overcome an undefeated UC Davis (9-0) team on Saturday afternoon as the Aggies powered their way to a 74-50 win at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Saint Mary's (5-3) led for a majority of the first quarter, UC Davis utilized a 12-0 run midway through the second frame to pull ahead, 21-13, and never trailed again. The Gaels went 0 for 8 from the field during the Aggies' run before Sydney Raggio banked in a jumper to end the cold streak. The Aggies finished the first half on a 20-6 run while also shooting 5 of 10 from beyond the arc in the half.
- UC Davis had limited their opponents to shooting just over 34 percent this season and forced SMC to shoot an uncharacteristically low 38 percent from the field and 2 of 15 from 3-point land. Despite being outshot, the Gaels were strong on the glass as they outrebounded UCD 34-27, including 15 offensive boards.
- Raggio and Megan McKay each scored a layup to begin the second half to cut the Aggies' lead to eight but Morgan Bertsch sparked another 12-0 UC Davis run with six points of her own to increase the team's lead to 20 with four minutes to play in the third quarter. Bertsch led all scorers with 23 points during the game on 10 for 14 shooting.
- Saturday's variety of loss was a rare occurrence for the Gaels, who hadn't lost a game by over 20 points since March 9, 2013 versus San Diego. Saint Mary's 50 points were the fewest the team has scored since Feb. 6, 2016 against BYU when they scored 48.
- Saint Mary's had trouble handling the ball at the end of the first quarter with five turnovers in a four-minute span. The Aggies were able to capitalize by scoring nine of their first 14 points off of turnovers. SMC ended the game with 22 total turnovers compared to 18 for UCD.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 9: Saint Mary's had nine steals in the game. Stella Beck and McKay had two each.
- 14: Sydney Raggio scored a team-best 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds. It was her eighth double-figure scoring game in as many contests this year. Madeline Holland also chipped in 13 points.
- 15: SMC pulled down 15 offensive rebounds Saturday. It outrebounded UC Davis 15-3 on the offensive glass.
- 38.3: The Gaels shot 38.3 percent from the field, their lowest percentage so far this season. Only one other time did they shoot below 40 percent this season, beating Cal Poly on Nov. 19 with a 38.5 field goal percentage.
UP NEXT: BASKETBALL TRAVELERS INC. INVITATIONAL
- Saint Mary's will have a week of rest before heading to the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind.
- The Gaels will begin the three-game tournament against UT Martin on Dec. 17 at 11:30 a.m. PST.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
1/20/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Powerful Offense Pushes Gaels Past Pacific
1/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gonzaga Holds Off Gaels' Comeback
1/17/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Lessons Learned For Raggio Prove Hard Work Pays Off
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Clash Of Top Teams
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
01/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
01/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
01/09/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball