WBK | Gaels' Offense Comes Up Short Against UC Davis
Saint Mary's was held to its lowest shooting percentage of the season during Saturday's loss to the Aggies
MORAGA, Calif. -- Saint Mary's could not overcome an undefeated UC Davis (9-0) team on Saturday afternoon as the Aggies powered their way to a 74-50 win at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Saint Mary's (5-3) led for a majority of the first quarter, UC Davis utilized a 12-0 run midway through the second frame to pull ahead, 21-13, and never trailed again. The Gaels went 0 for 8 from the field during the Aggies' run before Sydney Raggio banked in a jumper to end the cold streak. The Aggies finished the first half on a 20-6 run while also shooting 5 of 10 from beyond the arc in the half.
- UC Davis had limited their opponents to shooting just over 34 percent this season and forced SMC to shoot an uncharacteristically low 38 percent from the field and 2 of 15 from 3-point land. Despite being outshot, the Gaels were strong on the glass as they outrebounded UCD 34-27, including 15 offensive boards.
- Raggio and Megan McKay each scored a layup to begin the second half to cut the Aggies' lead to eight but Morgan Bertsch sparked another 12-0 UC Davis run with six points of her own to increase the team's lead to 20 with four minutes to play in the third quarter. Bertsch led all scorers with 23 points during the game on 10 for 14 shooting.
- Saturday's variety of loss was a rare occurrence for the Gaels, who hadn't lost a game by over 20 points since March 9, 2013 versus San Diego. Saint Mary's 50 points were the fewest the team has scored since Feb. 6, 2016 against BYU when they scored 48.
- Saint Mary's had trouble handling the ball at the end of the first quarter with five turnovers in a four-minute span. The Aggies were able to capitalize by scoring nine of their first 14 points off of turnovers. SMC ended the game with 22 total turnovers compared to 18 for UCD.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 9: Saint Mary's had nine steals in the game. Stella Beck and McKay had two each.
- 14: Sydney Raggio scored a team-best 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds. It was her eighth double-figure scoring game in as many contests this year. Madeline Holland also chipped in 13 points.
- 15: SMC pulled down 15 offensive rebounds Saturday. It outrebounded UC Davis 15-3 on the offensive glass.
- 38.3: The Gaels shot 38.3 percent from the field, their lowest percentage so far this season. Only one other time did they shoot below 40 percent this season, beating Cal Poly on Nov. 19 with a 38.5 field goal percentage.
UP NEXT: BASKETBALL TRAVELERS INC. INVITATIONAL
- Saint Mary's will have a week of rest before heading to the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind.
- The Gaels will begin the three-game tournament against UT Martin on Dec. 17 at 11:30 a.m. PST.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
6/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Mauldin Returns To SMC As Assistant Coach
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
03/05/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball