WBK | Gaels Win Big Again At BTI Invite
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team stayed unbeaten in Indiana with its second straight double-digit victory
MORAGA, Calif. -- A cold start turned into a hot finish Monday for the Saint Mary's women's basketball team, as the Gaels surged past Eastern Washington, 76-56, to stay unbeaten in the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational hosted by Purdue University at Mackey Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (7-3) led by eight points (33-25) at halftime, but the game did not look to be heading that way in the first five minutes. Saint Mary's got off to a slow start, missing all of its first 10 shots and not scoring its first points until the 5 minutes, 21 seconds mark of the first quarter. EWU took advantage to grab a double-digit lead at 10-0.
- But the Gaels woke up to make eight straight field goals and nine of 10, going on a 19-5 run to close the first quarter and another 13-3 run in the second to push its lead to 13 points at 32-19. Eight different players scored for SMC in the first half once they found the basket. Saint Mary's would shoot 53.8 percent after missing its first 10 shots, ending the game with a 45.2 field goal percentage.
- The Gaels continued to build on their lead in the second half with three 3-pointers from Jasmine Forcadilla and Stella Beck. EWU scored four quick points coming out of halftime to cut the Gaels' lead to just five points, but Forcadilla's and Beck's long balls kept the Eagles at bay. After another 6-0 spurt by Eastern Washington, Forcadilla helped put the Gaels' lead back at 12 with a three point play to take a 50-38 lead.
- Saint Mary's shot 61.5 percent and scored 24 points in the fourth quarter. Layups from Madeline Holland and Beck, as well as jump shots from Raggio and Forcadilla, sparked an 11-0 run to start the frame. The Gaels' defense also did its part, holding the Eagles scoreless for 3:40, and later for another 2:57, only allowing two points during a 6:37 stretch at the start of the period. Katie Rathbun came off the bench and hit her second 3-point shot of the game to go with two free throws to seal the win for the Gaels.
- 5: All five starters for the Gaels scored in double figures: Beck (16), Forcadilla (15), Raggio (13), Holland (10) and Mckay (10). It's the most Gaels to finish with double-digit points in a game since six players did so versus Pepperdine last season on Feb. 23.
- 8: Rathbun tied her season and career high with eight points after also doing so at Utah on Dec. 2. She hit two 3-pointers in the game for the fourth time this season.
- 14: Sydney Raggio grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds. The Gaels outrebounded the Eagles 47-31, including 23-14 on the offensive glass, which led to 21 second-chance points.
- 15: Jasmine Forcadilla scored a career-high 15 points. That topped her previous best of 14 at Boise State on Nov. 30. She had two treys for the second time this season and fourth time in her career.
- 16: Stella Beck had a team-high 16 points. She had a complete game Monday, also pulling down six rebounds, dishing two assists, swiping a steal and blocking a shot.
- Saint Mary's will conclude the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. against host Purdue.
- The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network Plus. Fans can find live video and live stats links on SMCGaels.com. Live social media updates will also be provided on @GaelsWBB and @SMCGaels.
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball