WBK | Gaels' Comeback Falls Short At Purdue
The saint mary's women's basketball team went 2-1 in the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- A strong second-half turnaround Wednesday had the Saint Mary's women's basketball team within a basket of host Purdue, but the Boilermakers used a big run late in the fourth quarter to pull away and secure a 70-60 win in the championship game of the Basketball Travelers Inc. Invitational at Mackey Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels (7-4) came out firing in the second half after turning the ball over 15 times before the break and only shooting 21.4 percent (3 for 14) in the second quarter. Saint Mary's shot 85.7 percent (12 for 14) in the third and 66.7 percent overall in the second half as it closed what was an 11-point halftime lead for Purdue (9-5) to as little as two points with a 9-2 run late in the third period.
- Saint Mary's again pulled to within two points midway through the fourth quarter with a quick 7-2 spurt. Stella Beck finished a three-point play to make it 55-53 with 4 minutes, 51 seconds to go.
- But the Boilermakers pulled away for good with a 15-3 run that spanned more than 3 1/2 minutes, giving them their largest lead of the game at 70-56 with just 64 seconds left to play. The Gaels only turned the ball over twice during Purdue's game-winning run, but they went 1 for 6 from the floor and missed two free throws.
- Saint Mary's started the game slow, falling behind by double-digits in the first quarter. But an 8-2 run powered by six points from Beck to end the first made it just a four-point contest. But it was all Purdue in the second quarter, as SMC only made three baskets.
- 14: Sydney Raggio notched her fourth double-double of the year with a team-high 14 points and 10 rebounds. Raggio also dished out three assists, blocked two shots and had two steals.
- 20: The Gaels committed 20 turnovers. 15 turnovers came in the first half and five in the second half, but they only committed one in the entire third period.
- 21: The Boilermakers held a 21-5 advantage on points off turnovers. 16 of those came in the first half alone.
- 33: SMC out rebounded the Boilermakers 33-31. The Gaels topped Purdue 26-19 on the defensive glass.
- 66.7: Saint Mary's shot 66.7 percent in the second half compared to a 36.4 shooting percentage in the first half. It would shoot 53.1 percent for the day, the sixth time it has shot over 50 percent in a game this season.
- Saint Mary's will open West Coast Conference play on Dec. 28 at Loyola Marymount in Gersten Pavilion. Fans can find live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
4/18/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Sanders Named Southern Utah Head Coach
3/15/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Second Half Comeback Falls Just Short In WNIT
3/14/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Kick Off WNIT At New Mexico
3/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels To Face New Mexico In WNIT First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Trio Of 1,000-Point Scorers Make History
03/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Tigers Top Gaels In WCC Tournament
02/28/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Look For Deep Run At WCC Tourney
02/27/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Five Gaels Land On All-WCC Teams
02/24/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Beat Broncos To Clinch No. 2 Seed
02/22/2018 - W. Basketball