WBK | Gaels Quiet Cougars With Physical Effort
The Saint Mary's women's basketball team evened its West Coast Conference record Saturday with a 57-49 win over BYU
MORAGA, Calif. -- The Saint Mary's women's basketball team grabbed its first West Coast Conference win of the year Saturday with a defensive shutdown of the WCC's preseason No. 3 pick BYU, holding the Cougars to less than 50 points in a 57-49 victory at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (8-5, 1-1 WCC) got off to a physical start with BYU (6-7, 1-1 WCC). The two teams combined for 23 fouls in the first half alone. SMC held the WCC's leading scorer Cassie Devashrayee to only two points and three fouls in the first half.
- BYU cut its 11-point halftime deficit to two points with an 11-2 run to open the second half. Megan McKay's layup kept the Gaels ahead at 34-32 five minutes into the third quarter. But just one minute later, Sydney Raggio would power the Gaels' lead back up to six with a layup and two free throws. She scored six straight points as the Gaels went on an 8-2 run to build their advantage back to eight before the end of the quarter.
- The run continued into the fourth quarter, extending into a 14-5 stretch that pushed Saint Mary's lead back to its largest at 11 points (48-37). Raggio scored 10 points during the run, finishing with a game-high 18 and her sixth double-double of the year with 12 rebounds.
- Stella Beck finished a layup and, on the next possession, a wide-open shot from beyond the arc which gave the Gaels a 21-13 lead in the second quarter. Both teams went without a field goal for the better part of five minutes in the second quarter. Beck and Katie Rathbun knocked down two 3-point shots to end the half with a 32-21 lead. Saint Mary's shot 57.1 percent from 3-point range in the first half.
- 3: Three different Gaels scored in double-figure points. Sydney Raggio had 18 points, Megan McKay scored 13 and Stella Beck had 12.
- 18: Sydney Raggio posted a double-double with a game-high 18 points and 12 rebounds. Raggio notched her sixth double-double of the season.
- 24: Saint Mary's had 24 of its points in the paint over BYU's 18.
- 42: There were a total of 42 fouls throughout the entire game. Saint Mary's tallied 18 fouls compared to BYU's 24. SMC has been called for more fouls only two other times this season, collecting 20 fouls at Boise State (Dec. 2) and totaling 24 in the season opener at No. 20/25 California on Nov. 10.
- 46: The Gaels outrebounded the Cougars 46-31. 36 of those boards were off of the defensive glass. Saint Mary's has pulled down 40 or more rebounds seven times this season, with its highest being 55 versus Cal Poly on Nov. 19.
Head Coach Paul Thomas
- "It is good to get a win anywhere. Although we were 2-1 in the Purdue Tournament, I don't think we played with the type of energy, intensity and enthusiasm that we are looking for in our team. We are very happy we won, but I think we can be better than that."
- "I think our team doesn't want to lose two in a row and they understand what that means. Saturday games are always tougher. We knew today was going to be a grind. We got some momentum and gave it right back to them when we turned the ball over. We are going to have this issue until we stop doing it. We work on it every single day."
- "I am happy we are going on the road. I think getting these games early on in the season is good for us. Focus is key on the road and that is what we need right now. "
- "Every game we play against BYU is a grinder. When it gets to be physical like today, luckily we have the personnel to handle that. Megan (McKay), Sydney (Raggio) and Claire (Ferguson) are big strong girls that can get out there. I would much rather have a physical game than not a physical game. We did a better job at getting to the free-throw line tonight, but we need to do a better job at making them."
- Saint Mary's will travel to Stockton to take on Pacific at 7 p.m. Thursday.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
1/16/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Host Gonzaga In Top Teams Clash
1/13/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels' Streak Moves To 5 With Win Over Waves
1/12/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Signee Wedin Nominated for McDonald's All-American Game
1/11/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Come Back To Beat Broncos For 4th Straight Win
1/9/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Return Home To Host WCC Foes
01/08/2018 - W. Basketball
Raggio Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
01/06/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Beck, Gaels Dominate San Diego
01/04/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Raggio's Put-Back Takes Down Tigers
01/02/2018 - W. Basketball
WBK | Gaels Continue WCC Play On The Road
12/30/2017 - W. Basketball