WSOC | Gaels Fall To Broncos at Home
The Broncos scored four goals in 13th minutes to take down the Gaels, 6-1.
By Trey Hannula
SMC Athletic Communications
MORAGA, Calif. -- Upon a wet and slippery pitch, Santa Clara took Friday's decision against the Gaels with a 6-1 score. It was the first time since 2013 that SMC allowed more than four goals in a match.
Saint Mary's moved to 6-9 (2-3 WCC) with the loss while Santa Clara improved to 9-6-1 (4-1 WCC).
Freshman Kelsey Turnbow powered the Broncos' offense with three goals on five shots during the contest. Jordyn Cunningham delivered the lone goal for the Gaels and Heather Seybert picked up her first assist on the score.
Saint Mary's had multiple scoring opportunites including a few well-placed shots from distance but the Broncos' goalkeepers made five saves to preserve the win.
QUOTES WITH CLARKE
- "Disappoint result today. Our effort was not there today like we usually have. We gave up an early penalty kick and were unable to recover. Santa Clara was very motivated today and we did not match their energy."
- "We talked as a team and are moving on to San Francisco. We need to have a better performance on Sunday."
- Santa Clara (1-0): In the 10th minute, the Broncos drew a call in the box on a scramble for the ball to set up a penalty kick. Santa Clara's Gudrun Arnardottir then converted the kick into the bottom left corner for an early 1-0 lead.
- Santa Clara (2-0): Minutes later, Sofia Jones raced down the right side of the field and centered her cross into the box to Kelsey Turnbow who tapped it in to double the Broncos' lead.
- Santa Clara (3-0): Following an SMC breakaway at the other end of the pitch, Turnbow notched her second goal of the match in the 21st minute on a through ball from Julie Doyle.
- Santa Clara (4-0): The Broncos padded their lead two minutes later as Machaela George won a header in the box and put it past Sonja Rajatalo for her first score of the season.
- Saint Mary's (4-1): The Gaels responded in the 28th minute as Jordyn Cunningham slipped past the Broncos' defense off a pass from Heather Seybert and deposited her second goal of the season.
- Santa Clara (5-1): Turnbow completed her hat trick in the 71st minute thanks to a quick touch pass from Kelcie Hodges to put the Broncos back up by four.
- Santa Clara (6-1): DB Pridham collected a pass outside the box and slid it past Maleah Millner for her third score of the year.
- Maleah Milner made her first appearance in goal as a Gael and played the entire second half. She finished with the contest with six saves.
- Santa Clara won the shots battle, 19-7.
- Hannah Diaz notched her second assist of the year on Cunningham's goal and now has 16 points on the year.
- SMC utilized 21 players during the match while SCU used 22.
UP NEXT: SAN FRANCISCO
- Saint Mary's will have an off day before taking the field again on Sunday versus the Dons. The match will be played at Saint Mary's Stadium beginning at 3:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased by clicking HERE or by calling the Gaels' Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
11/17/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Rajatalo Named to Finland's U-20 Squad
11/7/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Trio of Gaels Honored on All-WCC Teams
11/6/2017 - W. Soccer
Milner Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/4/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Capitalize with 1-0 Win over Pacific
11/1/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Finish Season at Home Versus Pacific
10/30/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Milner Named WCC Player of the Week
10/29/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Defense Forces 0-0 Draw at No. 12 Pepperdine
10/27/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Struggle in Loss at LMU
10/24/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Prepare for Road Trip against LMU, Pepperdine
10/22/2017 - W. Soccer