WSOC | Gaels Tough Effort Ends in 3-2 Overtime Loss
Saint Mary's fell to USF 3-2 in the second overtime period on Sunday.
MORAGA, Calif. -- After fighting back from a one goal deficit, the Gaels dropped Sunday's contest against the Dons in a 3-2 overtime thriller in Moraga.
The loss moved SMC to 6-10 (2-4 WCC) on the year while USF improved to 6-9-2 (2-4 WCC).
The Gaels' fourth straight loss was tough to swallow as Saint Mary's led heading into the final nine minutes of the match but soon after San Francisco managed a foul in the box and tied up the score on a penalty kick. In the second overtime period, the Dons won a scrum in the box and scored but was the goal was immediately called off by an official due to a foul. After a conference of the officials, the goal was ruled good to give USF their second conference win of the season.
Jaylen Crim scored her second goal in three games while Heather Seybert recorded her second assist in as many matches. Hannah Diaz fired off four of the Gaels' seven shots during the contest.
- San Francisco (1-0): At the 29:22 mark, Desiree Major notched her first goal of the season on the left side of the box to the bottom right corner.
- Saint Mary's (1-1): After a Dons foul in the box, Jasmine Edwards finished the penalty kick into the bottom left corner to tie the match.
- Saint Mary's (2-1): Off a header in the midfield by Seybert, Crim notched the go-ahead goal with a smooth finish past the keeper on a 1-on-1 breakaway.
- San Francisco (2-2): In the 82nd minute, Samantha Jehnings drew a call in the box and cashed in on the penalty kick for the equalizer.
- San Francisco (3-2): Just over a minute into the second overtime period, a scrum in the box and collision with the SMC goalkeeper led to Camille Wilson's game-winning goal for the Dons.
THOUGHTS FROM Travis Clarke
- "Tough game, we played hard and had chances to win. We shouldn't have allowed USF's last two goals to happen and it's tough to take when we played so hard."
- "We will look to get back after it in training and rebound next weekend on the road against LMU and Pepperdine."
- Today marked the 32nd meeting between the Gaels and Dons.
- SMC leads all-time series 22-10-1.
- Last win versus USF came in 2013 (1-0).
- Jaylen Crim is now second on the team with 19 shots.
- USF outshot the Gaels, 16-7.
- The Gaels drew the Dons offside four times during the contest.
UP NEXT: SOCAL ROADTRIP
- Saint Mary's will head south to Loyola Marymount for a showdown on Friday, Oct. 27 followed by an afternoon contest against Pepperdine on Sunday, Oct. 29.
- Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. PT against LMU and 1 p.m. against Pepperdine.
- Single match and group tickets to attend Saint Mary's final home contest of 2017 are available. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
11/22/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Have 10 Players Named WCC All-Academic
11/17/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Rajatalo Named to Finland's U-20 Squad
11/7/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Trio of Gaels Honored on All-WCC Teams
11/6/2017 - W. Soccer
Milner Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/4/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Capitalize with 1-0 Win over Pacific
11/01/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Finish Season at Home Versus Pacific
10/30/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Milner Named WCC Player of the Week
10/29/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Defense Forces 0-0 Draw at No. 12 Pepperdine
10/27/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Struggle in Loss at LMU
10/24/2017 - W. Soccer