WSOC | Gaels Struggle in Loss at LMU
Gaels fall 7-0 at LMU and will face No. 12 Pepperdine on Sunday.
LOS ANGELES -- Saint Mary's women's soccer struggled to stop the Loyola Marymount attack, as the Gaels dropped the road contest, 7-0, Friday night.
The loss drops SMC to 6-11 on the season, and 2-5 in West Coast Conference action. LMU improves to 7-6-1, and 2-4-1 in conference play.
Saint Mary's had an early chance at taking the lead of a Vanessa Gaitan shot that was saved in the first 90 seconds of the match. LMU quickly captured the momentum, as the home squad notched two goals in the first 15 minutes of the contest.
LMU continued to press the Gaels defense, and fired off a total of 10 shots on goal, with seven goals in the opening 45 minutes.
- Loyola Marymount (1-0): At the 7:17 mark, the Lions got on the board first off a Melissa Lewis finish inside the box.
- Loyola Marymount (2-0): Just four minutes later, LMU got its second goal off a miscue that resulted in an own goal by the Gaels.
- Loyola Marymount (3-0): At the 26:59 mark, Maddie Medved scored off a deflection inside the 18 yard box, as the assist came from Sarina Bolden.
- Loyola Marymount (4-0): The Lions scored their fourth goal off a cross from the left side that found Maki Kono for her first goal of the season.
- Loyola Marymount (5-0): Olivia LaCasto notched the fifth goal of the match off a rebound shot.
- Loyola Marymount (6-0): At the 40:12 mark, Pilar Torres gave LMU a six goal advantage, as she found the back of the net off a Sarah Sanger assist.
- Loyola Marymount (7-0): Sanger scored her fourth goal of 2017 with a little over two minutes remaining in the first half.
- "We gave an early goal and then an own goal, and couldn't get the momentum back. We had chances, we played very well in the second half, but the game was gone at that point."
- "We will meet tonight and tomorrow, and prepare for a full 90 minute effort on Sunday."
- Today marked the 25th all-time meeting between the Gaels and Lions.
- LMU holds 14-8-3 advantage over SMC.
- Gaels haven't beaten LMU on the road since 2013.
- SMC is now 2-5 on the road this season.
- Saint Mary's will head over to No. 12 Pepperdine for a showdown on Sunday, Oct. 29 at 1 p.m.
- Tickets to attend Saint Mary's final home contest of 2017 are available. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
2/8/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Sign Ten Freshmen For Next Season
2/6/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Signs Deal to Play Professional Soccer in Japan
1/11/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Welcome Isabella Coombes
11/29/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Named All-West Regional Player
11/22/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Have 10 Players Named WCC All-Academic
11/17/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Rajatalo Named to Finland's U-20 Squad
11/07/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Trio of Gaels Honored on All-WCC Teams
11/06/2017 - W. Soccer
Milner Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/04/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Capitalize with 1-0 Win over Pacific
11/01/2017 - W. Soccer