WSOC | Gaels Defense Forces 0-0 Draw at No. 12 Pepperdine
Goalkeeper Maleah Milner was credited with 11 saves in the scoreless match.
MALIBU, Calif. -- In a tough road test at No. 12 Pepperdine, Saint Mary's women's soccer forced a scoreless draw to end Pepperdine's nine game win streak on Sunday afternoon.
The tie moves Saint Mary's to 6-11-1 and 2-5-1 in WCC action. Pepperdine now becomes 13-2-2 on the year, and 7-0-1 in conference play.
The first half showcased strong defense by the Gaels, as freshman Maleah Milner made her first career start in the net. Milner kept her clean sheet in the opening half after recording five saves to keep the game scoreless into halftime.
Pepperdine continued to press, but the Gaels defense kept the nationally-ranked program scoreless in regulation. The Waves fired off 24 shots in the full 90 minutes, but SMC's backline and Milner stuffed all chances heading into the overtime period.
The Gaels defense and midfield continued to shut down the Waves attack in extra time, as Pepperdine finished scoreless in its first game without a win since Sept. 15 versus UCLA.
THOUGHTS WITH Travis Clarke
- "Despite our first half performance against LMU on Friday, to be able to come back and shutout LMU in the second half, and Pepperdine for the entire 110 minutes shows a lot of heart."
- "You normally are not that excited about draws, but this was against the No. 12 team in the country and it gets us another point in the West Coast Conference."
- "Pepperdine is an outstanding team and I am proud of our women for fighting that hard today."
- "Maleah Milner was exceptional in the goal. She had some great saves and we got a great amount of energy from her."
- Today marked the 23rd all-time meeting.
- Waves hold 12-7-4 advantage over the Gaels.
- Last time Gaels defeated Pepperdine was in 2015 (W, 1-0).
- No. 12 ranking is highest ranked opponent Gaels have faced all season.
- Pepperdine has allowed just five goals in 2017.
- Milner's 11 saves is the most in a single game for SMC since 2007.
- Draw snaps Pepperdine's nine game win streak.
- Saint Mary's will come back home to host Senior Day on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 3 p.m.
- The Gaels will take on Pacific for the season finale.
- Tickets to attend Saint Mary's final home contest of 2017 are available. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
2/8/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Sign Ten Freshmen For Next Season
2/6/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Signs Deal to Play Professional Soccer in Japan
1/11/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Welcome Isabella Coombes
11/29/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Named All-West Regional Player
11/22/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Have 10 Players Named WCC All-Academic
11/17/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Rajatalo Named to Finland's U-20 Squad
11/07/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Trio of Gaels Honored on All-WCC Teams
11/06/2017 - W. Soccer
Milner Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/04/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Capitalize with 1-0 Win over Pacific
11/01/2017 - W. Soccer