WSOC | Gaels Capitalize with 1-0 Win over Pacific
Saint Mary's claimed its seventh victory of 2017 with a win on Senior Day.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In a chilly final match, Saint Mary's women's soccer played sound defense and capitalized on its chances to defeat Pacific, 1-0, in the season finale Saturday afternoon at Saint Mary's Stadium.
Today's win moves SMC to 7-11-1 overall and 3-5-1 in West Coast Conference action. The Tigers fell to 5-13-2 on the season, and 2-7 in conference action.
The first half defense stayed solid versus the Tigers attack, forcing six shots outside the 18 yard box in the first 40 minutes of the match.
Anyssa Dominguez nearly broke the deadlock in the 48th minute as her shot from 17 yards out was saved by Pacific's keeper Regan Heslop.
Saint Mary's secured the single goal lead at the 55:55 mark as the Gaels captured a penalty kick off a foul inside the right corner of the 18 yard box.
Pacific nearly equalized the match in the 59th minute as Julia Beck's high shot found the crossbar. Goalkeeper Maleah Milner continued to impress, as she dove to make a clutch fingertip save in the 85th minute to preserve the clean sheet and the seventh win of the season.
THOUGHTS FROM Travis Clarke
- "We played well today and I was happy with our team's energy. We had chances and converted on the penalty kick. Our defense did their job again and it was great to see a solid performance in today's match."
- "I couldn't be more proud of the Senior class. They have been great to coach and have been tremendous leaders for our young team."
- "To have the most points in conference play since 2003, it means a lot. We have been improving every season, our team is still very young, and we have a lot of potential moving forward."
- Saint Mary's (1-0): Jasmine Edwards scored her second goal of the season as her penalty kick found the bottom left corner at the 55:55 mark.
- Most points (10) in conference play since 11 points in 2003.
- Ended 2017 with 0 goals allowed in 225 minutes.
- 13th all-time meeting between the Gaels and Tigers.
- Today's win snaps Pacific's two match win streak versus SMC.
- Milner made her second career start for the Gaels.
- Milner recorded her first her career win in goal.
- First win versus Pacific since Oct. 25, 2014.
- Seven wins in a season for the second time in the past three seasons.
5/3/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Seybert Signs to Play Pro in Austria
4/19/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Summer Camp Dates Announced
3/15/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Announce Spring Schedule
2/27/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Announce Hire of Brown and Bingham
2/8/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Sign Ten Freshmen For Next Season
02/06/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Signs Deal to Play Professional Soccer in Japan
01/11/2018 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Welcome Isabella Coombes
11/29/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Diaz Named All-West Regional Player
11/22/2017 - W. Soccer
WSOC | Gaels Have 10 Players Named WCC All-Academic
11/17/2017 - W. Soccer