SB | Gaels, Aggies Split Doubleheader
Saint Mary's won its fourth consecutive game after defeating UC Davis 7-5 in the opening game.
MORAGA, Calif. -- A late rally in the opening game of Wednesday's doubleheader gave the Gaels their fourth win straight win as Saint Mary's (4-12) and UC Davis (11-7) split the two-game set at Cottrell Field.
Saint Mary's 7, UC Davis 5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Gaels offense broke out and scored five runs to take the late lead, 7-5. The 6th inning scoring was started by Dylan Linton who drove in Halle Sullivan with a single and then a Nikki Alexander walk to force a one out bases loaded situation.
- It was Hailey Sparacino's chance to deliver in the comeback rally, and she came through with the biggest hit of the game, a three-RBI double, which put the Gaels ahead 6-5. The Gaels were not finished yet, as Julia McCormack's RBI single put the Gaels up 7-5 at the end of the 6th.
- The Aggies struck twice in the top of the 1st inning by scoring on an error and sac-fly to take the early 2-0 lead. In the bottom of the 2nd, the Gaels were able to gain some momentum by forcing three straight walks from Hannah Chew, Jaymee Campbell, and Abbey Mariani. With bases loaded and no outs, Bailey Lotz capitalized by smoking a line-drive to right field for a RBI single to cut the to lead 2-1.
- The action picked back up in the bottom of the fourth for the Gaels when Campbell led off with a single and was driven in by Mariani to cut the Aggie lead 5-2. After holding the Aggies offense for two innings, Katelyn Whitt continued to keep the Gaels in the game and the offense stepped up to the plate and got the job done when it mattered most.
- With Whitt rolling through the Aggies offense, she was able to get a quick first out. After Royas singled, Whitt closed the game by turning a double play to complete the comeback win 7-5.
UC Davis 8, Saint Mary's 0 (5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The second half of Wednesday's doubleheader didn't fare as well for the Gaels as the Aggies bats erupted for eight runs on 10 hits during the contest. Marisa Given led the Aggies with three hits, including an RBI single.
- A five run-inning chased SMC's Eileen Perez from the circle who was then replaced by Eryn McCoy and later Whitt. McCoy and Whitt combined to throw 2.1 innings while only allowing one run and striking out three.
- Alexander picked up the lone hit for the Gaels and also had a walk and stolen base. McCormack and McCoy picked up the other two walks for Saint Mary's.
- Sparacino leads the team with 13 hits and had three RBIs
- Whitt has now won three consecutive games and has a team best 3.94 ERA
- The Gaels will resume play this weekend as they travel down to southern California for a five-game tournament in Riverside.
- Saint Mary's will play Brown, Stoney Brook, and UC Riverside beginning on Friday. Links to the games can be found on the Gaels' schedule page.
6/12/2018 - Softball
Matoso Announces Softball Change
5/15/2018 - Softball
SB | Trio of Gaels named All-WCC
5/12/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels Split Doubleheader with Marathon Win
5/12/2018 - Softball
SB | Three Gaels Named All-Academics
5/11/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels' Comeback Falls Just Short at Santa Clara
05/10/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels Travel to Santa Clara for Final Week of Regular Season
05/06/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels Fall to Hot Hitting Tigers in Series Finale
05/05/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels Walk-Off on Wild Finish over Tigers
05/04/2018 - Softball
SB | Gaels Host Pacific on Senior Weekend
04/28/2018 - Softball