VB | Saint Mary's Downs Dons In WCC Home Opener
MORAGA, Calif. — Sienna Young set a career high with 16 kills and the Saint Mary's women's volleyball team posted one of its best hitting performances of the year Tuesday in a 3-0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-14) West Coast Conference sweep over San Francisco at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
· Saint Mary's (5-8, 1-2 WCC) tied its second-best hitting performance of the year with a .312 clip. But it also tied its most service errors in 2017 with 11.
· The Gaels' defense held San Francisco (3-13, 0-3 WCC) to just .012 hitting (21 kills, 20 errors on 83 attempts). It was the lowest hitting percentage by an SMC opponent in more than five years, since Morgan State was held to -.026 hitting on Aug. 31, 2012.
· Saint Mary's never trailed in the first set, going on a 9-3 run midway through the frame to make it 20-11. The Gaels had three different spurts of four straight points, including scoring four straight to clinch the 25-15 set win.
· Runs helped SMC pull away in sets two and three. A 6-1 run in set two overcame an early 6-5 USF lead, and an early 10-2 run put set three out of reach from the start.
· Young's 16 kills topped her then-career high of 15 at Gonzaga on Thursday. She hit .414 while also adding two service aces, three digs, a block and an assist.
· Lindsey Calvin led Saint Mary's with a .571 hitting percentage. She had nine kills and two blocks. It was the third straight match and fourth in the last six that she had at least nine terminations.
· San Francisco was led by Erica Ronda's 10 kills. Erin Anthony nearly had a double-double with 18 assists and nine digs.
FROM THE PLAYERS
· “This is my first time playing outside in a really long time and I was a little nervous at first, but I'm really comfortable hitting so that went well and it gave me the confidence to serve well and play defense.”
· “Last year just being a freshman is kind of scary and I didn't have a lot of confidence going in. This year I decided to try something new and believe in myself, and now I'm not scared to go hit the ball and I know I'm a good enough volleyball player to go hit the ball hard.”
· “We had a rough weekend last weekend and this win is really important to get us out of this slump we've been in. I'm really excited to go on the road with this win behind us.”
Rob Browning BITES
· “It always feels good to win no matter where you are. We've played well here in our gym; certainly played well tonight. Overall, we did a good job. We did what we needed to do. Our offense has not been great, so that's been a focus for us, and it was good tonight.”
· “(Jennifer) “Boo” (Laird) had an impressive night. Her first significant playing time, she did really well. Really happy for her, she's been working hard like everyone else and she got a chance tonight and she took full advantage of it.”
· “Sienna has been a surprise. We knew she was good, but she's gotten better as a hitter. She has a really good arm on her. You can't just tell someone to hit the ball hard, you've got to have the arm for it – and she's got it. Madi (Wilkerson) has been really steady all year. We have good competition on our team in practice, and it's pushed some of our older players to be better because some of our younger players have been pushing them in practice.”
· Saint Mary's travels south to Los Angeles to take on Pacific Coast Highway foes Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine on Thursday and Saturday.
· SMC returns to McKeon Pavilion on Oct. 5 and 7 to host nationally ranked BYU and San Diego. Tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
11/18/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Beat Gonzaga In Five
11/16/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Start Strong vs. Pilots
11/15/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Final Home Stand, Senior Day Close Out 2017
11/14/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Sign Talented, Versatile Quartet
11/11/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Push Tigers To Five Sets
11/09/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Saint Mary's Travels To Pacific
11/04/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Push No. 10 BYU In Utah
11/02/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | No. 13 San Diego Sweeps Saint Mary's
11/01/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Travel To Nationally Ranked USD, BYU
10/30/2017 - W. Volleyball