VB | No. 19 San Diego Sweeps Saint Mary's
The No. 19-ranked Toreros hit .344 and had 10 blocks in an all-around performance Saturday.
MORAGA, Calif. -- The Saint Mary's women's volleyball team faced its second consecutive ranked opponent on Saturday afternoon in No. 19 San Diego, but could not contain the Toreros' high-powered offense as the Toreros won 3-0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-18) in a West Coast Conference matchup at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, both teams exchanged points early before the Gaels (5-11, 1-6 WCC) rattled off three straight to take a 16-15 lead. On the following point, San Diego's (11-4, 5-1 WCC) Merve Tanyel notched a kill that spurred a 9-1 run for the Toreros as they took the opening set, 25-17.
- USD jumped to an early 7-3 advantage in the second set but three attack errors by the Toreros and a kill from Morgan Hughes drew the teams even at 7-7. Soon after, San Diego went on a 10-1 run thanks in part to three kills from Jayden Kennedy for a 20-10 lead. Down 24-14 in the set, the Gaels rallied for five straight points, including two kills by Lindsey Calvin, but ultimately fell 25-19.
- Saint Mary's rebounded from an early deficit in the third set but a 9-0 run by the Toreros opened it up at 17-7. USD's Roxie Wiblin recorded five kills in the run and six of her eight kills in the final set. The Gaels clawed back with a 5-1 run near the end of the match, but Kennedy's 12th kill of the match capped the Toreros' win, 25-18.
- Lindsey Knudsen had a strong all-around game for the Gaels with her team-leading nine kills and two service aces. She also contributed six digs and one block.
- SMC recorded 31 kills during the match with 11 coming in the first set. The team recorded their highest hitting percentage in the middle frame at .250.
- USD hit .344 as a team and recorded 17 kills in the final set. Addie Picha nearly recorded a double-double with nine kills and nine blocks and Lizzy Tardieu led all players with 12 digs.
- The Gaels will play just one game next week as they host Pacific for a Saturday matinee at 1 p.m. Tickets for the match are available at SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
7/18/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Earn AVCA Team Academic Award
7/9/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Calvin, Chase Play In International Competitions
6/19/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Browning Coaching With USA Junior National Team
6/6/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Hire Souza as New Assistant
6/5/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Announce Competitive 2018 Schedule
03/21/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Calvin Attends USA Volleyball National Tryouts
01/26/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Bible To Be Inducted Into SMC Hall Of Fame
11/29/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Seven Gaels Honored on WCC All-Academic Team
11/21/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Thrilling Five-Set Win Closes 2017
11/18/2017 - W. Volleyball