VB | Offense Carries Pacific Past Saint Mary's
The Pacific women's volleyball team hit .310 and had three players with double-figure kills to get past Saint Mary's.
MORAGA, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s women’s volleyball team fell to Pacific on Saturday, as the Tigers controlled their offense with precise hitting and serving to earn a 3-1 (25-23, 25-17, 22-25, 25-21) West Coast Conference victory at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary’s (5-13, 1-7 WCC) jumped out to an early 7-4 lead in set one, but a 9-2 run midway through put Pacific (8-11, 3-5 WCC) up for good. The Gaels stayed close, rallying to within one point eight times and tying it twice, but the Tigers held SMC to just .103 hitting to hold on at 25-23.
- Set two started out even closer than the first with nine ties and seven lead changes, but Pacific outscored Saint Mary’s 16-8 down the stretch after a 9-9 tie. Both teams improved their hitting in the second set, but the Tigers’ .355 in the frame outdistanced SMC’s .222.
- Saint Mary’s got back in the match with a 25-22 win in set three. Four straight points early on gave the Gaels a lead they would not surrender. SMC found its groove to the tune of a .419 hitting clip, including 15 kills as a team and two aces from
- The Gaels looked to pull things even in set four, going on an early 4-1 run to tie it at 8-8, but Pacific answered with its own 5-1 spurt and never looked back. SMC tried to rally at the end of the set, but Pacific answered every single point it scored to hold on for a 25-21 win and a 3-1 match victory.
- Sienna Young recorded her first double-double of the year with 10 kills and 11 digs. Mary Hernandez nearly had her first double-double of the year with 21 assists and six digs.
- Lindsey Calvin hit a team-best of .400 with a team-leading 11 kills. She also led Saint Mary’s with four blocks.
- Emily Baptista led Pacific with a match-high 25 kills. Pacific had three players with double-figure kills including Baptista, Andie Shelton (14) and Ashlyn Fleming (11), as the Tigers hit .310 as a team.
- Saint Mary’s will travel across the Bay Bridge next week to face local rivals San Francisco on Thursday and Santa Clara on Saturday.
11/16/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Start Strong vs. Pilots
11/15/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Final Home Stand, Senior Day Close Out 2017
11/14/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Sign Talented, Versatile Quartet
11/11/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Push Tigers To Five Sets
11/9/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Saint Mary's Travels To Pacific
11/04/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Push No. 10 BYU In Utah
11/02/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | No. 13 San Diego Sweeps Saint Mary's
11/01/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Travel To Nationally Ranked USD, BYU
10/30/2017 - W. Volleyball
O'Sullivan Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
10/28/2017 - W. Volleyball