VB | Gaels' Complete Effort Downs LMU
The Saint Mary's women's volleyball team had 15 blocks and three players with 10+ kills in a four-set win over LMU
MORAGA, Calif. -- The Saint Mary's women's volleyball team beat Loyola Marymount 3-1 (25-20, 25-20, 23-25, 25-20) on Saturday, using a scrappy defensive effort that featured 15 blocks and a balanced offensive attack to take a West Coast Conference victory at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (7-15, 3-9 WCC) rallied in each of the first two sets, using a 6-0 run in the first set and an 11-2 run in the second set to erase early LMU (12-11, 6-6 WCC) leads and give the Gaels a 2-0 match lead.
- The match score was not indicative of the match's competitiveness, as both teams battled through four tightly contested sets that saw 31 ties and 15 lead changes.
- After LMU rallied to take the third set 25-23 and tie up the fourth set at 17, the Lions looked poised to tie the match at two sets apiece, but the Gaels would go on
a 8-3run to wrap up the match.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- Three Gaels recorded at least 10 kills in the four-set win over LMU. Morgan Hughes had a team-high 12 kills while hitting .400, Lindsey Knudsen added 10 kills and also contributed eight digs, and Alex O'Sullivan gave the Gaels 10 kills and hit .600.
- O'Sullivan had a double-double, with season highs of 11 blocks and 10 kills for her first double-double of the season.
- The Gaels hit over .400 in back-to-back sets (.407 in the first, .444 in the second).
FROM THE PLAYERS
- "We got our energy up quickly and everyone was excited supporting each other. I felt confident and things kept going well, my confidence kept building and I was going for it. I think everyone knows we can play at this level consistently and if we keep that energy up and supporting each other then we can pull off another win that we can take on the road."
- "We came into it with high energy. This month we had a spooky vibe that we brought into our game. It made us laugh and we never gave up. I mentally prepared myself for faster sets and I came into the game knowing that I had to be quicker. I am hoping this carries over to the following games. We have to bring our energy again and of course...stay spooky."
- "Our biggest enemy has been inconsistency, but today we put it all together in four sets. LMU is really good and well coached. They did not play a bad match. I think we are tough and put a lot of pressure on them. Even though we lost (a set) in the end, we were playing well and did a lot of good things."
- "In the beginning of the
yearwe were blocking really well. The girls have been getting better at simplifying their moves and getting their hands straight over the net and it paid off. I think the key to keeping the momentum going is doing the things we always do. Do the things that got you to where you are."
- "It's not going to be about how much we improve as much as can we just go out there and play like how we are trained to play. With the lineup we had today, we know we can do well, and it is good to see it happen today."
- Saint Mary's will start a three-match road trip on Thursday at
nationally rankedSan Diego, then head to BYU on Saturday. They then travel to Stockton to face Pacific on Nov. 11.
6/19/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Browning Coaching With USA Junior National Team
6/6/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Hire Souza as New Assistant
6/5/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Announce Competitive 2018 Schedule
3/21/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Calvin Attends USA Volleyball National Tryouts
1/26/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Bible To Be Inducted Into SMC Hall Of Fame
11/29/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Seven Gaels Honored on WCC All-Academic Team
11/21/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Thrilling Five-Set Win Closes 2017
11/18/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Beat Gonzaga In Five
11/16/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Start Strong vs. Pilots
11/15/2017 - W. Volleyball