VB | Gaels Push Tigers To Five Sets
The Saint Mary's women's volleyball team came from behind Saturday to push host Pacific to five sets
STOCKTON, Calif. — Saturday’s West Coast Conference volleyball match between Saint Mary’s and Pacific was a back-and-forth battle, but it was the host Tigers who would come out on top in a competitive five-set battle, winning 3-2 (20-25, 25-20, 25-15, 22-25, 15-11) at Alex G. Spanos Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary’s (7-18, 3-12 WCC) never trailed in the first set, pulling away early with a 6-0 run that gave it a 12-5 advantage. The Gaels hit .452 in the set while Pacific (13-13, 8-7 WCC) committed 10 combined attack and service errors.
- The Tigers had to engineer their own pull-away act in set two to even the match. SMC was still within two points at 16-14, but Pacific’s lead would only dip below four points twice after that, as it scored three of the last four points in the set to win 25-20.
- The back-and-forth action looked like it would continue in set three when Saint Mary’s jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead, but Pacific answered with its own 7-2 run to go ahead 7-6. SMC led once more at 9-8 thanks to back-to-back kills from Jennifer “Boo” Laird and Sienna Young, but the Tigers would outscore the Gaels 17-6 the rest of the way, including a 7-1 run to close out the 25-15 set victory.
- But SMC didn’t go down without a fight. Facing defeat trailing 20-15 and 22-20, the Gaels stormed back in set four with a 10-2 run that included a 5-0 clinching sprint. Lindsey Calvin and Alex O’Sullivan teamed up for consecutive blocks to finish off the set.
- Consecutive errors by the Gaels gave Pacific a 6-2 advantage in the fifth set, but SMC clawed back by also capitalizing on errors, scoring three points on three Pacific errors to make it 13-11. The Tigers’ Emily Baptista put the finishing touches on a career-best performance, putting down a kill and serving up an ace to finish the set and the match, 15-11.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- Three Gaels notched double-doubles, led by Lindsey Knudsen’s team-high 11 kills to go with 11 digs. Alexsa “Crash” Parker tallied 29 assists and 18 digs, and Mary Hernandez collected 20 assists and 15 digs.
- Saint Mary’s hit .452 (1st) and .381 (4th) with just one error in each of the sets it won. But it hit .189 (2nd), .062 (3rd) and .105 (5th) with 12 total errors in the sets it lost.
- Sienna Young had 10 kills and hit .333. Lindsey Calvin also had 10 kills and five blocks to give Saint Mary’s three players with double-figure kills. Sarah Chase hit a team-best .467 with eight kills and four digs in her return to the outside hitter position.
- The Gaels had 10.0 team blocks. Alex O’Sullivan led the way with a match-high six and Calvin contributed five. Laird added three and Morgan Hughes had two.
- Saint Mary’s begins its final home stand of the season with a 7 p.m. match Thursday versus Portland. Gonzaga visits for a 1 p.m. match on Saturday, which will serve as the Gaels’ Senior Day. Santa Clara visits on Nov. 21 for the season finale.
6/19/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Browning Coaching With USA Junior National Team
6/6/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Hire Souza as New Assistant
6/5/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Announce Competitive 2018 Schedule
3/21/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Calvin Attends USA Volleyball National Tryouts
1/26/2018 - W. Volleyball
VB | Bible To Be Inducted Into SMC Hall Of Fame
11/29/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Seven Gaels Honored on WCC All-Academic Team
11/21/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Thrilling Five-Set Win Closes 2017
11/18/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Beat Gonzaga In Five
11/16/2017 - W. Volleyball
VB | Gaels Start Strong vs. Pilots
11/15/2017 - W. Volleyball